Sunday, September 29, 2019

Nostalgia in Nature

Last weekend, our Field Bio class went on a trip to Kickapoo park to catch bugs for our Arthropod collections. In the beginning, we went to a vast meadow to capture pollinators. Walking through the trails in the meadow -- flat beds of grass walled by tall yellow flowers -- was a truly relaxing experience. Its nice to wander off in nature and be in your own zone once in a while. I personally like to do this because it is my opportunity to unwind and just forget about all the stressors in my life and just be in the moment, taking in the view around me.

We were able to catch pollinators -- honeybees, wasps, and butterflies -- in these flowers in the meadow. After about two hours of catching critters in the fields, we headed off to a river to collect Dobsonfly larvae -- black, aquatic insects, living in temperate areas -- from under the rocks in the water. Literally, all you have to do is wade in the shallow parts of the water, try to find a large flat rock, and turn it over. You're bound to find a bunch of the larvae; they like to rest under these rocks.

Wading in the water was relaxing as well. After hours of collecting in the fields under the hot sun, it was very refreshing to jump into the cool stream. While splashing in the river, I saw something small and greenish-looking scurry under a rock in the water. I scooped it up with my aquatic net, and when I got a closer look I saw that it was a Crayfish. It was green and cream-colored, with a bit of orange at the tips of its claws and head. It was very cute but sadly they are an endangered species, so I took a quick picture with it and placed it back in the water.

Anyways, these moments I had on this trip reminded me a lot of my childhood. My grandparents used to own a summer house in Rockport, Illinois (a really small town in the countryside, with a lot of farms and fields), and all of my craziest childhood memories are from the times I spent there. I recall early memories of coming home with all kinds of critters -- frogs, snakes, and baby birds. We even found 5 kittens one time and my Aunt let us keep them. There was also a stray dog we found one morning snoozing on the porch but it ran away after a few weeks.

My grandparents had a prairie in their backyard that was a lot like the one we found our pollinators in at the Bio trip. Wading in the creek at Kickapoo gave me a lot of nostalgia, too, because when I was little I would always go to this river across the road from my grandparents house, and my cousins and I would catch things like toads and turtles.

The sold their house a couple of years ago, and it was sad because I loved going there every summer since I was little and going on crazy adventures. But the trip to Kickapoo was like a little throwback to those good times.


(A moment with the Crayfish prior to release)




5 comments:

  1. I agree that the Bug Bio Kickapoo trip was very relaxing. I liked only having to think about catching insects, not about school. I also liked how rather than many of my other classes, where we just do worksheets and stuff, this trip gave me an opportunity to put into real life the things I learned in the class. The trip reminded me of my childhood as well, because when I was younger I'd collect insects and stuff. I remember when I was little, my dad got a new microscope and we looked at stuff we caught from the water in the microscope. I also caught a caterpillar when I was little. Then it disappeared. Bug Bio field trips are nice because you go into nature, which I don't get to do often now that there's lots of other things occupying my life. Thanks, Mr. Stone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love bio trips for the same reasons. They, especially the Kickapoo one, remind me of being a kid and just running around in nature, trying to catch animals. However, I don't really like watching the arthropods try to escape the kill jar, especially when they're large and you can really tell how hard they're trying to escape. I almost wish we could've duct taped over the entire jars, just so I wouldn't have to watch any more grasshoppers and bees fruitlessly fight for their survival. Bug bio is still fun though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's amazing that you were able to get a taste of your childhood back from these bug bio trips. Whenever I get the chance I try to be outside even if that means studying. Being immersed in nature is very relaxing and bug bio introduced me to knew experiences that I wont forget.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that being in nature is such a relaxing experience. Sometimes just going on a walk can change my whole mood and perspective on life. Especially if the weather's nice, it can be really refreshing. It's also really nice that you could have that feeling of nostalgia on that trip. I think for a lot of people just being outdoors can bring back childhood memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Going to Kickapoo gave me nostalgia too! It reminded me when the masjid used to have the annual Sunday trip where we would go canoeing and literally everyone went and then we would have a picnic afterwards :) I miss that :(

    ReplyDelete

Remediation Project

For my project, I made an Art series containing 4 different art pieces. Each one represents a short story we've read this year. The main...